In early July, the server that is currently serving image services via the old ‘Client Core’ application will be shut down permanently as part of a technology upgrade and image services will no longer be available via this mechanism. Users requiring access to image services will be required to use the GENESIS platform in order to view these services.
Who will be Impacted?
Users currently accessing image services from the old Image Server application, using this button .
You will need to switch to using GENESIS for continued image service access.
Connecting to GENESIS:
- If you have not previously registered, complete the one-time registration required to obtain access to secured services in GENESIS by visiting https://genesis.srd.alberta.ca and following the instructions on the page;
- After the registration process is complete, return to https://genesis.srd.alberta.ca and follow the instructions for “How to Use ArcGIS Server Web Services in ArcGIS for Desktop” to create the GENESIS connection in ArcGIS;
For support related to registering or connecting to GENESIS, please contact the Enterprise Geospatial Services team.
Methods for Accessing Services in GENESIS:
In ArcCatalog: Navigate to the ArcGIS Server connection to GENESIS that you created in the previous step > double-click the server connection to connect > browse to the required service (in most cases users should select the service called ‘Latest’), and drag them into ArcMap:
In ArcMap: Use the Add Data button > Navigate to GIS Servers > Select the GENESIS connection created above > double-click the server connection to connect > browse to the required service (in most cases users should select the service called ‘Latest’), and click the Add button:
From your browser: Navigate to https://genesis.srd.alberta.ca > Click on ‘Browse the Service Directory’ > Navigate to the required service (in most cases users should select the service called ‘Latest’) > Choose one of the available options for viewing the service:
- ArcMap – Saves a layer (.lyr) file pointing to the service that may be opened in ArcMap;
- Google Earth – Saves a .kmz file for the service that may be opened in Google Earth;
- ArcGIS.com Map – Opens the service in the ArcGIS.com webmap.
Accessing the image services through Layer Manager. The Layer Manager update to provide access to the new services in GENESIS is ongoing. A notification will be sent to the appropriate mailing list(s) as updates occur.
Information About the New Services:
We are currently in the process of getting the new services published in GENESIS. Not all services are available at this time.
Stay tuned for a 2nd post with information about the new services.