What is Happening?
The Alberta Geospatial Centre of Excellence has been working to upgrade the GENESIS platform to a new architecture utilizing the ESRI ArcGIS for Server 10.3.1 software. At this time, the GENESIS ArcGIS Server 10.3.1 environment is operational and available for use.
The URLs for GENESIS are changing for this new environment. If you are an application developer or otherwise responsible for maintaining a system that uses services from GENESIS, you will want to begin migrating that system to use the new 10.3.1 environment as soon as possible. If you are a direct user of web services in mapping/GIS software (i.e. image services, map services, feature services, etc.) then you will need to update your service connections accordingly.
Information regarding how to access the new GENESIS 10.3 environment can be found here.
To enable our clients to transition to the new system gracefully there will be a period of time the old URLs will continue to work concurrently with the new. There will be four phases in the decommissioning of the ArcGIS 10.0 environment. Timing given for these important milestones is approximate and will be refined in future updates:
- Both the v10.0 and v10.3 environments will run concurrently
- The v10.0 services are considered deprecated and having limited break-fix support.
- No new services will be published in the 10.0 environment as of this time – all new content is published in the 10.3.1 environment going forward.
Beginning March 2017
- The v10.0 URLs will begin redirecting to equivalent v10.3 URLs by default
- A manual override will be available to provide for extended 10.0 support by deliberate action. Details to come, but probably using a modified URL to the same services.
- The services will be running with reduced capacity, and some performance degradation can be expected.
Beginning June 2017
- The v10.0 services will be shut down
- All requests to the v10.0 services will be redirected to this blog post with a 301-Permanent redirect.
Beginning September 2017
- The existing web sites and services will be completely shut down
- The domain name registrations dropped, and the URLs will no longer respond.
If you have any questions or concerns please contact us.